Day Trip From Marrakech To Ait Ben Haddou
Morocco Day Trip From Marrakech
Max People : 6
Min People : 3
Pickup : Airport
Aït Benhaddou is a historic ighrem or ksar along the former caravan route between the Sahara and Marrakech in present-day Morocco. It is considered a great example of Moroccan earthen clay architecture and has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1987.
Departure & Return Location
- Marrakech International Airport
- 3 Hours Before Flight Time
- Private A/C Vehicle + fuel
- English/French/Spanish speaking driver
- Pick up & Drop off from your hotel
- 1 hour camel ride each way
Price not included
- Lunch meals
- Any Private Expenses
- Entrance fees to monuments, studios and Kasbahs ( visits are optional)
What to Expect
The site of the ksar has been fortified since the 11th century during the Almoravid period. None of the current buildings are believed to date from before the 17th century, but they were likely built with the same construction methods and designs as had been used for centuries before. The site's strategic importance was due to its location in the Ounila Valley along one of the main trans-Saharan trade routes. The Tizi n'Tichka pass, which was reached via this route, was one of the few routes across the Atlas Mountains, crossing between Marrakech and the Dra'a Valley on the edge of the Sahara. Other kasbahs and ksour were located all along this route, such as the nearby Tamdaght to the north.
Today, the ksar itself is only sparsely inhabited by several families. The depopulation over time is a result of the valley's loss of strategic importance in the 20th century. Most local inhabitants now live in modern dwellings in the village on the other side of the river, and make a living off agriculture and especially off the tourist trade. In 2011 a new pedestrian bridge was completed linking the old ksar with the modern village, with the aim of making the ksar more accessible and to potentially encourage inhabitants to move back into its historic houses.
- See the Tizi-n-Tichka pass through the High Atlas Mountains
- Discover the UNESCO World Heritage site of Ait Ben Haddou, Touarirt Kasbah and the Draa river Valley
- Visit Ouarzazate known as the Hollywood of Africa
- Cross the Merzouga Desert on camel back and enjoy a spectacular desert sunset